Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Human Beings not Human Doings

I am currently writing from a semi-bedrest, in the hopes that little baby bean stays inside of me as long as need be.
During this time, I am learning to be, not to do.
This is a crucial lesson for anybody to learn. 
I believe, if we cannot be well, than we will not do well.
All of our doing, comes out of our being.
So here I am, with restrictions to rest, relax and rejuvenate. 
How can I do anything, but be?
Well, it's easy if you have certain type A, underlying characteristics. 
But for the sake of my baby and my marriage for that matter, I am learning to be. 
I would say, the last 6 months were fairly hectic, trying to balance 3 jobs, taking care of the household, and making it a priority to have an open house, where all feel welcome.
It was a genuinely fulfilling time, but I found it easy to get caught up in the simple doings of life, rather than focusing on: who my father is and who does that make me because of what He has already done.
Specifically, to fully except His grace and His love in my life.
If we, the church, cannot except and take in this grace and love, how could we ever fully pass on this abundant gift to those around us?
How could we lead authentic and audacious lives?
Why would someone want to live a life with Jesus, if they have not yet experienced the depths of the grace and love that our Father has for us?
Perhaps, to logically try to save oneself from hell, but that's ultimately missing out on the fullness of life that we are offered in the here and now, when we decide to follow Jesus. 
If you know or even if you do not know Jesus, think for a moment about all of the restoration that He wants to bring in your life.
Just sit in this thought, how much does He love you and wants to heal you from sickness, fear, despair, emptiness, etc. 
How much joy, peace, love, grace, kindness, and hope is he waiting to give you?
I do not think we can even begin to fathom the answer to this question. 
It is beyond our comprehension. 
Now, I am not accusing you of being a messed up basket case, but chances are, if you are a human you are :)
We all are.
We all are in need of God's saving grace, regardless how put together our lives appear to be. 
If you are familiar with the Bible at all, think about how often Jesus relates mankind to seeds, plants or flowers.
The sower and the seed, the parable of the mustard seed, Luke 12, where Jesus compares the beauty of flowers to one of the richest kings in the old testament. 
Plants do nothing from reason, logic or duty, they simply grow and cannot even control that, now, can they? 
The growth comes from the help of the gardener, who waters, prunes, or cuts the branch, or the clouds, which give rain, or the sun, which gives light. 
They cannot consciously grow.
Their duty is to be and so much beauty, growth and fruit comes from their task of being.
He is the vine, we are the branches.
All we need to DO is BE close to Him and we will bear much fruit. 





No comments:

Post a Comment