Pages

Friday, January 13, 2017

Skillful Seeing

One of my favorite stories from my childhood is about the time I learned how to ride a bike.
After I slowly started to get the hang of it, my dad took me around the block, following close by to help me up when I fall and to give me a push, when I was ready to start again.
The second turn around the corner of the block, I took a bit too widely and hit a tree that was in between the street and sidewalk.
After falling my dad asked me if I was okay.
I looked up at him and said, "Yes! This tree saved my life dad!"
And he replied saying, "Jeanna what are you talking about?"
Excited and all, knowing that I was still alive with only bumps and bruises, I answered, "If this tree wasn't here, than I would have gotten hit by that car."
Perspective my friends
It changes everything.
Of course it is always good to see the good in every situation, but what I find even more crucial is the ability to see the bigger picture.
If I was not able to see the bigger picture as I crashed into the tree, the situation could have turned bitter, frustrating, or discouraging.
Instead, it was a situation full of gratitude.
Gratitude is in the eyes of the beholder.
How we see effects how we live.
If we have the ability to see the trees in our lives that prevent us from a car crash, than we will live our lives out from a place of gratitude.
A heart full of gratitude changes moments, days, years and even lives.
CS Lewis writes, "Looking always comes first." (The Great Divorce)
How we look, how we see, effects the reaction of our hearts and if our hearts are full of gratitude, love, joy, we will speak and react in such a way.
"The words you speak come from the heart." (Matthew 15:18)
This is a deep desire for my life.
To be able to see the trees that stand in the way of the cars and to give thanks, always.
To give thanks during the confusion, the joy, the pain, and the good.
For I know, I have a good, good Father.
Who is ALWAYS good, it is only my sight that could be bad.





No comments:

Post a Comment