Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Boundless Bliss

This past week I received a text from my Dad, explaining how he had a dream that I was not happy. Because this dream was so strong and being the amazing dad that he is, he decided to follow up with me. I was so touched with this text, really. But than I began to ponder, am I truly happy, what is happiness in general and why do I feel like my generation chases after such a fleeting feeling?

I realized that I could not honestly answer this question. A cup of coffee or glass of wine makes me
happy. When I sit down and write with a candle lit in my office happiness comes. If I spend time with my husband, family and friends, I become happy. But these temporary things are quickly finished. They do not last. So why is our world raising up a generation, who strives after these temporary pleasures? Why do we not strive after something that is everlasting?

You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (Psalm 16:11)

Now we often use the words joy and happiness interchangeably.  But I believe there is a difference. According to Merriam Dictionary, happiness is a state of being happy (temporary) and joy is a source or cause of great happiness.  Therefore, if a person does not have joy, he or she cannot be truly happy since joy is the source of happiness. If the Bible says that in God's presence we experience the fullness of joy, than can we truly be happy without God?

And that's where I began to explain to my papa. I am not running after happiness, if happiness comes that is a byproduct of my joy which ultimately comes from the presence of God. Life is often, just simply hard, but the fruit of these hard times is joy. I believe, the longer we follow Jesus the quicker we are to find joy through the difficult times. We strive or put our hope in something that is far beyond us. Joy is alive in my heart, but it is not based upon my worldly circumstances, which is great because if it was than as soon as I lost my job, family, health, culture my joy would be gone with it.

God is good. He is always good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment